Friday, June 5, 2009

Public Television Resources

Today we got to see the depth of resources that are available through IPTV. The amount of resources there is unbelievable, and even more unbelievable than that is the fact that I've never seen a teacher use any of them, after having 2 student teaching placements and 3 practicum experiences. These resources are all FREE and easy to use. Each element is based off of a PBS children's show and is therefore appealing to students.

I especially liked the reader's island, where an adult could create user ID's for students and monitor students progress through reading games. These games were set up to scaffold the content for the student so that they didn't start with reading comprehension (the hardest). Their only option is to start with rhyming sounds (the easiest). The adult user can monitor the students progress through each skill level. This would be an awesome site to allow students to use during free time, and then have something to show the parents and PTC. Also, the teacher could monitor this, and see if students are stuck on something and then be able to provide a mini-lesson based on that skill. I will definitely use the island in my future classroom, and plan to try to use it with my tutee this summer.

There are also many videos available here to supplement curriculum. What an awesome resource! I also really like Dan Wardell's blog.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I was really surprised that I've never seen or heard about this before too! I think with it being Internet based, a lot of teachers might be intimidated by it or just not want to take the time to include it in their lesson planning. What a great resource though and a great way to get students excited about learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also amazed at the many resources that are available on the IPTV website, and in my four teaching experiences (as well as many volunteering experiences) I have never seen any of these resources used in a classroom. This is surprising because they are designed specifically for use in the classroom. I also love the fact that the games and activities are based around television shows which will help captivate student interest. In my future classroom I plan on using the island with my struggling readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also, am amazed by all these resources I have never seen! With all the curriculum and instruction courses, including practicum and student teaching and technology courses as well I am shocked to have seen what I have in just one week. I cannot wait to use all of these fun and exciting resources to get children excited and motivated about reading. I think that its up to us fresh faces in teaching to start using integrating technology and the internet into our teaching strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been told about Iowa Public Televisions website before here at Iowa State University, but after thinking about it am surprised that I have never seen it used in a classroom. I plan to use it in my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete