Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Background/Interest in Tech & Literacy

This Spring I graduated from ISU with a B.S. in Elementary Education as well as a minor in Educational Computing. As long as I can remember, I have loved 2 things: learning new things, and using technology. During my time here at Iowa State, I found a perfect way to connect the two, by getting a teaching degree and the minor in technology.

During my student teaching placements I was eager to jump in and use all of the knowledge I had amassed here at ISU, especially regarding technology integration. I was able to use technology to supplement our 5th grade social studies text by taking virtual field trips to many historical locations. I was able to incorporate meaningful uses of technology into writing by designing a research paper outline template in Kidspiration and having students use that as a framework to design a research project/paper. For reading, I used technology to create student-made movies from fairy tales that they'd written in groups, after reading multiple versions of one fairy tale. All of these endeavors were very successful.

I am excited to be completing my Reading Endorsement, and am looking forward to finding even more ways to use technology in the classroom through this class.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you used technology during your student teaching experience. We want that to happen so much, but hear about it rarely. Thanks for sharing as it sounds like you did a lot in a short period of time!

    ReplyDelete