Thursday, June 11, 2009

Digital Storytelling

Since I've completed a minor in Educational Computing, this will now be the 4th time I've done a digital storytelling assignment. Honestly, I'm kind of digital-storytelling-ed-out. BUT, today I saw the impact made when a student wrote something, and the motivation to read it and write again that followed.

In my tutoring session yesterday, I found that my student really enjoyed a Garfield comic book. In fact, it was the only thing she'd showed interest in so far. So I decided to see if we could find any Garfield books online. I did find some books, but I had to sign up for an account to access them. Instead, I found a comic creator at the official Garfield website. I created a nice, authentic-looking comic strip in about 15 minutes. I thought this would be a fun end-of-the-week activity for my tutee. Sure enough, she loved it. It was an authentic writing experience for her--even if it was only about 15 words total. She was so proud of that 3 frame comic strip and she read it to her dad as soon as we walked out of the library.

Not that this was necessarily digital storytelling, but it was a similar experience, and it helped me to see the motivational power behind the concept of using students' own writings to enhance their reading. I guess I'll give digital storytelling another chance.

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed some of the work you have done, very impressive! I am just getting started with all of this technology stuff. I am familiar with it all, now I just want to put it to use. I felt the same with when my tutee created a Wordle. It was something she really enjoyed, and now I know technology and the computer is definitely an option to use with her. I will have to look at the Garfield website you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Sorry about the overlap of digital storytelling. Feel free to take a different angle or approach than you have before. One can never tell too many stories!

    ReplyDelete